[LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sat May 3 10:12:02 EDT 2008

Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org>
>>> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> As for edge dragging, in Acid this allows you to play a portion of a
>>> loop. If I place a loop in a session the tempo is adjusted
>>> automatically and I hear the whole loop. If I drag the left edge to
>>> the right I lose the front part of the loop. If I drag the right edge
>>> to the left I lose the last part of the loop. There are ways to drag
>>> the loop to an out-of-sync point if you want but I don't use it much,
>>> really only for beat slicing where they have better tools in the
>>> editor.
>>>

>> when you import (or drop) a new audio file into the qtractor
>> time-line, it's always assumed that the new clip is in tempo with the
>> current session. if you find it is not the case, you can trim and/or
>> (time-)stretch the clip until you see fit. take a tour:
>
> [...]
>
> As far as I can remember, the "automagic-ness" of ACID relies on some
> sort of extra metadata. I think it was embedded in the WAV file, but it
> might have been somewhere else.
>
> The point is, if there is such metadata in a clip (e.g. wav), why no use
> it? Have an option like "strech clip according to tempo metadata" or the
> likes. If I remember your LAC presentation correctly, all resampling is
> done "on-the-fly" (modulo some cacheing) so isn't is simply initializing
> the 'stretch factor' to a proper value?
>
> 2cents for the masses,

that's a good point indeed. i do remember that Mark has aslo referred to
me about the meta-data acid do stuff into wavs, but i'm afraid i've lost
the hint at the bottomless qtractor todo list ;)

question that occurs to me atm. might be: does libsndfile have the means
to read or access that meta-data ?

as said, implicitly, i don't nor ever used acid, but it might be of some
help if someone would hand out one of the acid-stuffed wavs for me to try?

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org