[LAU] System Restore...

Roger E gurusonic at gmail.com
Mon May 5 23:45:46 EDT 2008

A good backup is essential. System Restore is not a good backup.
My backup:
rsync -av /home/roger /mnt/sdb1/rsync-home backs up my home to a second
hard drive. This is made into a script and run every night via an entry
in /etc/crontab .
I also make a regular backup image of both / and /home partitions, using
partimage, which is also ideal for Windows backups, including ntfs.
If you are mastering CD live systems, partimage would be an ideal way of
saving the whole system with custom settings and all, in case something
subsequently breaks it. It can gzip or bzip the image to save a lot of
space. And of course restore it if you break the system.
Best run from a live cd such as GParted Live. The partitions you wish to
back up must not be mounted, but you must mount the backup partition.

Roger