[LAU] Ideas for LV2

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed May 7 17:32:52 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:57:34PM +0200, Michael Bohle wrote:
> Am Wed, 07 May 2008 21:34:41 +0200
> schrieb Pieter Palmers <pieterp at joow.be>:
>
> > Michael Bohle wrote:
> > > LV2 Ports of ZynAdd, AMS, AMsynth, Minicomputer, Jamin, a
> > > Convolution Reverb (I think Fons already work on this), Hydrogen,
> > > LMMS, Linuxsampler, Fluidsynth, Speciman, Horgand, PD, Beast...
> > >
> > > (what do I miss here?)
> > Someone who has the time to actually do this?

> See it as a brainstorm or thinktank... if Ardour 3 is ready, what do we
> need to have a full featured 2008 daw studio software bundle like (Logic
> Studio) by using existing resources...

You can do convolution reverb using jconv which is a
command line app of course. A more sexy GUI app will
appear some day (in fact it's ready, but I'm holding
back the release for various reasons), but you can be
100% sure it will not be an LV2 plugin.

I'm not going to waste my time writing code that depends
on N optional extensions if the chances that there will
ever be a host that supports all of them correctly is
proportional to 1/(2^N). And even less if these extensions
are defined independently, without any coordination, without
a top level design of any sort, and are sooner or later
going to interact between them in one or more of the N!
possible but unexpected and uncontrollable ways. I could
of course write the host myself as well, but if I have to
do both parts I'd define a very different plugin interface.

Ciao,

--
FA

Parma, Italia