[LAU] Advice for validating quality

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Sat May 10 09:41:16 EDT 2008

Hello!
   I can only reliably comment on one aspect: Clipping and volume:
ecasound -i input.wav -o null -ev
   Will give a long statistic and the last line of that says something like:
(audiofx) Max gain without clipping, all: 1.69677.
   that means with:
ecasound -i input.wav -o output.wav -ea:169.677
   you can amplify your file to full volume without having clipping.
   You could alternatively use some normalising software like:
ecanormalize input.wav
   If it tells you the the file is already normalised, it means (in 99 of 100
cases), that there is clipping.
   Other interactive ways might be some graphical analysing software, take a
look at linuxaudio.org or at Dave's page linux-sound.org, they should list
enough software in this field.
   For glitches I don't know, listen, perhaps some fft-based piece of software
exists, which could find possible glitches, by finding "broken waves", with
methods of mathematical analysis.
   HTH.
   Kindest regards
          Julien