[LAU] Aceptable bass guitar sound: is it possible?

Jorge spesgmd at telefonica.net
Mon May 12 14:38:51 EDT 2008

Hi List!

Inspired by the great article: "Making great guitar sounds on GNU/Linux" from
Arda Eden (great rig of effects, very good guitar sound, and really well
explained, thanks!), I've been thinking about a problem I have since loooong
ago :)

I have now a good (and 100% free) platform to record/mix great guitar/drums
sounds, which is *almost* everything I need, but I am not able to get a
decent bass sound in Linux yet. Before, when propietary soft was all I
knew ;) I had some VSti or even efects to low down an octave a guitar sound
to simulate a bass (not too nice, but enough if well played and equalized).

So my question is, what do you recomend to get a decent bass sound (appart
from buying a bass, of course ;) is it possible??

I think there are two possibilities:

1) I read Arda Eden uses Hexter DSSI synth, and sound well, but I don't have a
midi controller, and have not experience with Rosegarden (I only use Ardour,
no midi at all). Is there a simple host to DSSI hexter plugin which can be
played/programed with mouse?

2) Any good-quality-FX to convert my analog guitar playing into a bass sound
out there?? (I don't even need real time).

Thanks very much! :)

P.S. You can hear the things I do with my actual system at:
http://virb.com/spes