[LAU] Soundcard question: Was "Equivalent to reason"

J M Needham J.M.Needham at bath.ac.uk
Fri May 16 06:20:42 EDT 2008

Dear all,

Forgive me for not understanding this, but I've also heard conflicting
things on Alsa-User. On my PC (old H/W, Ubuntu Hardy Heron, SB audigy) I
can play sound through apps connected to jack and apps going direct to
Alsa at the same time. On my Debian sid box, I cannot have two appps
playing music at the same time. My Laptop, running Ubuntu GG (s/c HDA
intel) also behaves like this, whereas my friend's PC can do what my
Ubuntu HH box can do (new H/W, SB Audigy new(ish)), and
both have been able to do this since we both switched at Edgy Eft.

I don't understand this. Some people say that you cannot play sounds from
aps connected to Jack and apps not using jack at the same time, which
contradicts some of my experience and the experience of Joakim Hernberg
[below] so what's the difference? What files do I need to look at to find
the difference if there is any.

Is this a h/w or s/w issue? It's clearly possible, so why is there the
belief that it can't happen?

Jonty