[LAU] Proximity Effect and Dynamic EQ using LADSPA plugins?

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:43:22 EDT 2008

Back on Friday 16 May 2008, Steve Fosdick was like:
> I found the following article on the net about compensating for
> proximity effect using a dynamic equalizer.
>
> http://rane.com/note1550.html
>
> Has anyone tried something like this with LADSPA plugins?  If so what
> plugins did you use?

This "dynamic EQ" is a bunch of BS. They like to market this stuff as some
sort of EQ that automatically adjusts, which is a load of bull.

Real "Dynamic EQ" is riding the EQ knobs while somebody is playing / singing.

This is nothing more than a compressor with a sidechain. The input for the
sidechain is a split off the signal input for the compressor, and is run
through a bandpass filter (or whatever type of processing works best for what
you're trying to achieve) first so that you can have control over what
frequency range is triggering the compressor.

There are several LADSPA compressors with sidechain inputs that can be set up
with something like Ingen to achieve a "Dynamic EQ".  Be aware though that
this is not EQ. This is dynamics.

-Reuben