[LAU] Best recording software for long session

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Tue May 20 09:32:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
Al Thompson <biggles58 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I have need to record a lengthy (2+ hours) live show non-stop,
> stereo, and was wondering what Linux program is best at this.  I've
> tried reading the docs and FAQs I could find, and those docs that I
> could find say nothing of any recording time limits, or file size
> limits.  It's got to save in 44.1/16bit .WAV format, and run on
> non-jack Fedora.
>
> I've got Audacity, but besides the fact that I don't know if it will
> do the length of non-stop recording, it's quirky on my laptop.
> Sometimes it doesn't recognize the input device, and only has one
> logical input device available.  Other times it's fine.  There is no
> apparent pattern to it, so I hate to trust it since I can never
> predict if it's going to work.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Al

I'd use traverso. It is more reliable to me than
audacity/rezound/sweep. It appears to have no problem with recording
long tracks, I just did a testrecord of 182 minutes length.
It works with alsa and jack, is cross platform, and if your
distribution doesn't have it included you can use the autopackage.
http://traverso-daw.org/

Best Regards,
	Philipp