[LAU] [LAA] [ANN] jack-keyboard 2.5

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Tue May 20 11:47:47 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 20 May 2008, Edward Tomasz Napierala wrote:
> > Starting a jack daemon just to be able to send some midi to some midi
> > device is maybe a burden sometimes..
>
> Yes.  However, well-behaved JACK clients should afaik start jackd
> automatically.  jack-keyboard does that since version 2.4.

Yes, that doesn't mean that it works though. Scenario: I have a computer with
a midi interface on the soundcard. Wanna send Midi through it? Should the
MIDI signal go through hoops (jackd).. Should the user go through hoops
(setting up jackd)?

> > I like the idea of jack midi for internal
> > routing between applications, especially between Sequencers and
> > Softsynths. It lightens the burden on softsynth and sequencer
> > implementers which would otherwise have to take into account all kinds of
> > scheduling and priorityu issues. But MIDI also has more purposes than
> > that..
>
> Sure it does.  But what makes ALSA MIDI more suitable for that purpose?

Zero added latency for one. jackd only makes sense for inter-process delivery
of MIDI signals. For inter-machine sending of midi where the other machine
might be a hardware synth, it doesn't make sense at all to send the signal
through another daemon..

> > Jack MIDI is not the answer to all things MIDI IMHO..
>
> Personally, I like to think of ALSA MIDI as a legacy interface.

This is shortsighted IMHO..

Regards,
Flo

--