[LAU] DVD creator ?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue May 20 17:05:10 EDT 2008

Dave Phillips wrote:

> I decided on this approach:
>
> Convert AVI to DV with Kino
> Export DV to MPEG2 via Kino
> Create DVD with DVDStyler
>
> It works nicely, but... The quality of the resulting DVD is certainly
> poor compared to the original.

Too many lossy conversions. See if you can do it in one step. A full
transcode chain should handle all the processing steps in one shot, with
all the intermediate steps remaining in the raw video (uncompressed) domain.
Also, the same thing can be accomplished exclusively with mjpegtools.

I'm not sure which MPEG2 encoder is used by Kino. That might be part of
the problem.

If the source material is noisy, you may apply a very slight de-noiser
in the transcode chain. This might make it easier for the MPEG2 encoder
to cram all the info in a given amount of bits - the result: better
perceived image quality.
Again, same thing can be done with a mjpegtools chain.

Or tweak conv-dvd2 from my previous email to use your source material
directly. It's essentially an AviSynth script wrapper, so it should be
able to handle any source format, and is also capable of image scaling,
denoising and all that stuff, just like transcode or mjpegtools.
By using HCenc for MPEG2 encoding you'll get pretty close to the highest
image quality achievable with free non-warez tools.

(Forgot to mention that AviSynth is a hidden requirement for conv-dvd2.
If the SoundOut plugin is not in your AviSynth release, download it and
install it. The pdvcodec is required to decode DV, if that's your source
material. All these applications work just fine under WINE.)

> I believe I can do both. I can set FPS (default 30) and I can set the
> video width & height. I can also specify the audio sampling rate, which
> I assume should be 48 kHz for a DVD.

Yeah. It's usually AC3 192kbps for stereo.

>> (To actually interpolate frames you could try yuvmotionfps. I've used
>> it with very acceptable results to convert 30fps material from a
>> canon a710. Whereas the ffmpeg dropframe conversion makes high-motion
>> pans look unbearable the yuvmotionfps interpolation looks very ok on
>> a tv set. http://jcornet.free.fr/linux/yuvmotionfps.html)

That's a good one.

I think you may want to ask a few questions on the mjpeg-users mailing
list. That's the users forum for mpeg2enc and they also have a pretty
complete processing chain, with tools similar to yuvmotionfps (actually,
J.Cornet's tools can interface very well with mjpegtools, so those two
together might be your one stop shop).

http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/

--
Florin Andrei