[LAU] stupid organ-question

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed May 21 18:43:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:56:21AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:

>    I just wondered: If they say"tutti" and mean the registration of a church
> organ, do they really mean "ALL registers"? I want to get a real full typical
> "tutti" sound out of aeolus. So do I really draw all stops/
>    Kindest regards and I'm sorry, if this is too stupid

Not stupid at all. Literally 'tutti' means 'all', but keep
in mind that

- no two organs are identical,
- on some, using all stops would not give the desired result,
- registration is always the responsability of the player.

For example if you have strong 16' on a manual including it
in a 'tutti' may not be a good idea since it will effectively
transpose down everything by an octave. Idem for some typical
strong solo stops.

There are two similar terms, 'plenum', and 'ripieno'.
Neither of them mean 'all', rather they refer to all
stops (starting at 8' and up) of a same family, or
a combination that includes (almost) all harmonics
of an 8'. On some organ that may amount to 'all', but
that is not the real meaning.

Ciao,

--
FA