[LAU] Performance problems.

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Thu May 22 04:20:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:01:23 +0100 (BST)
J M Needham <J.M.Needham at bath.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> So, I've just upgraded to Ubuntu HH, and I'm using the Linux
> 2.6.24-17-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT kernel on a toshiba laptop with dual
> core 2.6 GHz processors and 2G of ram, and an intel HDA
>
> I have compiled Ardour 2.4.1 from source with FREESOUND=1 as my only
> option. My first problem is that it's using 74% of my CPU just sitting
> there. [Anyone else find this?]
>
> I've checked that my system corresponds to this page
> http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=40 (as this was how I
> used to have it set up) and it corresponds, but I'm getting 5% CPU
> usage from Jack just sitting doing nothing.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

The 5% could be normal if you have very low latency settings, since the
lower the latency the higher the cpu usage, even when idle.
Ardour chewing 74% cpu on the other hand is far too much, it should use
nearly nothing. I haven't compiled 2.4.1, Version 2.3 that ships with
hardy appears to work fine here.

Best Regards
	Philipp