[LAU] Performance problems.

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri May 23 05:54:54 EDT 2008

Am Freitag, 23. Mai 2008 schrieb J M Needham:
> Running Jamin, Ardour and Hydrogen is about it at the moment on my system.
> I can get ZYn in there, but Rosegarden is a no. Jamin seems to eat lots of
> CPU, which it didn't used to on my other Kubuntu boxes. Anyone got got any
> other ideas? What I need is lower latency and I need to be able to run all
> the apps I need at the same time. I used to run Hydrogen, Jamin,
> Rosegarden and Zyn on my little PC (1.6GHz Athlon, 512M ram, SB Audigy),
> but I don't seem to be able to get even there on my 2.6 GHz dual core
> Intel with 2G ram, but Intel-HDA. Would really love some help with this or
> some links.

<jedi mind trick>
You don't want to run jamin with low latency.
</jedi mind trick>

Actually you can't really run jamin at low latency, because the math involved
to do the eq and the cross-over adds at least 10ms. And there is a _lot_ of
math involved, so jamin has always been a cpu-hog. And will always be. After
all its a mastering-tool, not a live-usable effect...
Normally one would create a new session with the stero-exports from all the
songs and route that through jamin. No need for low-latency and not much cpu
used by ardour which leaves all the cycles for jamin.

And Zyn (the original) is not realtime-save either. Don't expect miracles
there.

And don't expect miracles from the Intel-HDA. Except for the name there is
nothing really high about these devices. Better add your SB to that machine
to get quality.
Or invest the next lunch money for a real high-quality device.

Have fun,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/