[LAU] Processing ?

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Sat May 24 15:02:34 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Michal Seta <mis at artengine.ca> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> As I explore AVSynthesis I've been looking for similar applications and
>>> environments. I'm already familiar with the Pd/GEM powerhouse combo, but
>>> I keep searching for others.
>
> lush?  http://lush.sourceforge.net/
>
> I toyed with it a little and it seems like a fairly powerful piece of
> software.  Uses it's own lisp dialect.  I haven't done any real tests
> but on some more or less simple thingies it outperforms processing.
> It has bindings for opengl, sdl, opencv and a bunch of other
> mathematical/scientific and image/matrix processing libraries.  There
> are even alsa bindings and perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult (for
> someone in the know) to add jack.  The thing is that it's quite
> low-level so there are not many ready-to-go routines for image
> processing (unless I missed some piece of information somewhere).  I
> think that the software is still being slowly maintained/updated but
> at a very slow pace (haven't really followed in a long while).
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Justin Smith <noisesmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Processing is interesting. I found it to be frustratingly slow,
>
> Has anyone compared processing with pygame (performance wise especially?)

I used lush years ago for some algorithmic image generation. I
remember having some complaints about the incompatible compilable and
non-compilable languages that are embeddable  in the same source file,
but I was less skilled a programmer then. I think I may try making
some lush jack bindings this weekend, just to see how it works out,
because jack is a tiny api and lush hits a sweet spot for me in a few
ways, being a lisp, easy to use at a low level, compilable to shared
libraries and able to use c shared libraries with little trouble. A
lush library for generating LV2, LADSPA, or DSSI would be interesting,
as well.