[LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo at dellorfano.net
Mon May 26 19:22:25 EDT 2008

Don't disregard the delta 1010lt card. Onboard preamps are pretty
good. Two balanced inputs. A mackie board (approx $100) will have
preamps and phantom power.

I am using condensor mikes for acoustic guitar. I have two oktava
mk-12s. They are inexpensive mikes but with surprisingly good quality.

For vocals, sm-58 is good. Better would be a large diaphragm
condensor. The AKG 3000C is a budget end mike that performs very well.
It showed very well in a comparison with much more expensive mikes in
sound on sound magazine.

Remember that condensor microphones require phantom power. Often this
is found on the mixer board.

This seems like a lot, but it is a setup that will make very good
quality voice and acoustic guitar recordings. Ebay is a great place to
find discounts on good audio equipment. Also, don't forget that you
already saved hundreds of dollars on the software!

If you are looking to make demos or recordings that will eventually be
sold or represent you as a performer, consider investing in good
hardware!

That's my opinion. I could be wrong.

-Joe Dell'Orfano