[LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

Roger Wakeman rwakeman at hushmail.com
Tue May 27 01:16:17 EDT 2008

>Hi,
>
>I want to be able to record voice and acc. guitar.
>
>I like to have it cheap, but good... ;)

You've come to the right place then!

>1. Which mic do you recommend?

Everyone has been mentioning dynamic microphones. For acoustic
guitar and voice I would go straight for a condenser to catch as
much nuance as possible. If you have no mics at all, I'd recommend
getting one dynamic and one condenser of comparable quality.

>2. Do I need a mixer?

Considering that you can get an interface with 8 inputs for the
cost of an 8 channel mixer and a stereo interface...definitely not!
I think it's much more practical to get an interface with all the
inputs you need, record on seperate tracks and mix in the software.

>3. Do I need a new soundcard? I've now an onboard one and can play
>guitar with not to much latency or xruns...

As previously suggestioned, the M-Audio Delta series sound cards
are very well supported by Linux and have a wide range of options.
Be wary of new Delta 1010 cards though, because they changed
something about them in 2007 that messed up their compatibility.

My website hosts a list of aaaaaaaaaaalmost all of the officially
supported interfaces: http://www.linuxstudiopro.com

You may also want to invest in studio monitors at some point. They
are expensive, but much more accurate and unbiased than even the
finest computer speakers. If you want to make good recordings and
mixes you need to hear the music accurately. We could talk about
recording and mixing environments as well...but you should just buy
a good book on recording.

Good Luck, Dirk!

Roger

--
Click to begin your health care training online.  Request info today.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4fOHYTb7LmHCa3AEvPlIyKexvXIqBevdD0t63D3oEX8tO1w0/