[LAU] inverting phase of one channel - bad idea?

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue May 27 06:07:11 EDT 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Bah, what you get is no stereo image at all, but some sort
> of 'spatial soup'.

Ok, then we agree :-)

However now I reread the post more closely, and it seems his intentions
were a bit different. Here's what he wrote:

"feed the left channel back to the right with a short delay, inverted;
feed the right channel back to the left with a short delay, inverted;"

Actually it sounds to me like the inverting part becomes irrellevant.
When the delayed + inverted sound is output, the original audio has
moved on and the delayed audio is simply "something new" that's mixed
in, inverted or not.

Is this some kind of well known trick or am I right that inverting the
delayed signal doesn't do anything (good) for the result?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen