[LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

schoappied schoappied at gmail.com
Tue May 27 08:43:54 EDT 2008

Steve Fosdick wrote:
> On 27/05/08 11:44:51, schoappied wrote:
>

>> It seems that the delta 44 doesn't have digital I/O, can somebody
>> answer the above question and tell me where digital I/O is for?
>>

> I don't have a Delta 44 so I can't be sure but the description I see
> for it (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/801)
> doesn't mention a MIDI interface and I would think if it had one they
> would mention it so I would guess that it does not.
>
> The digital I/O referred to (as available on the 66) is used if you
> want to record from digital sources without the signal having to be
> converted back to analogue and then re-converted to digital with the
> resulting loss of quality.
>
> As an example, if you have an external digital synth which has digital
> out, or if you want to incorporate material someone has sent you on
> minidisc (or any other digital format the PC can't read directly) and
> have a minidisc player with digital out you can record that on the PC
> without the double conversion mentioned above and therefore with better
> sound quality.
>
> Steve.

So if I want to be able to record from the electr. piano I better have a
digital I/O function?

Thus I can better go for the audiophile 24/96 or the delta 66(the latter
I find pretty expensive)?

Do I understand it right that you need for the audiophile and the delta
44 or 66, a preamp or mixer(I'm a bit confused about this point, sorry)?

Are there interfaces with inbuild preamps which you can recommend and
work well with linux?

Thanks again,

dirk