[LAU] which laptop?

J M Needham J.M.Needham at bath.ac.uk
Wed May 28 06:22:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Alberto Botti wrote:

> Il giorno mar, 27/05/2008 alle 23.00 -0400, cdr ha scritto:
> > eg if you care about driving a decent display, you can narrow out anything w/o
> > dual-link DVI, HDMI, or Displayport. which means everything except the macbookpro or thinkpad with a dock..
> >
> > both of those use Nvidia afaik. so if you want a digital external display w/ Intel drivers, you need to wait for Displayport in Montevina (Centrino-2). which is a couple months
>
> The Dell M1330 has a HDMI port and is available with a X3100 Intel
> graphics controller (or a NVidia 8400). I haven't tried it but according
> to the Xorg list it should work (video only, no audio at the moment).
> If you live in the US or in some European countries you can order the
> M1330n, preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Note that the X3100 is pretty slow (it's often slower than previous
> Intel integrated cards) and its drivers are sometimes unstable in 3D, so
> go for it only if you don't care about 3D (compiz works reasonably well
> though), need good multi-monitor support and can't stand proprietary
> drivers.
>
> Also, its HDA audio (which it's the same as my Dell Vostro 1400) is
> almost totally unusable with JACK...

Intel-HDA I assume? Try 3 periods per buffer (obviously unlike every other
card on the Earth and the moon). Works pretty well* with that on my
toshiba with Intel HDA. Although I am looking for a good firewire card at the
moment. Doesn't work with any powers of 2 almost at all (managed to start
it with 2ppb once with 64 ms latency)

* I had Ardour2, rosegarden, hydrogen, zyn and amsynth using jack at the
same time with 8.sth ms latency at 36% CPU. And aeolus.

God Bless
Jonty