[LAU] which laptop?

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed May 28 06:45:44 EDT 2008

Quoting J M Needham <J.M.Needham at bath.ac.uk>:

> Intel-HDA I assume? Try 3 periods per buffer (obviously unlike every
> other
> card on the Earth and the moon). Works pretty well* with that on my
> toshiba with Intel HDA. Although I am looking for a good firewire card at
> the
> moment. Doesn't work with any powers of 2 almost at all (managed to
> start
> it with 2ppb once with 64 ms latency)

On my laptop (Dell D820), the card worked really well with a few driver
parameters, 3 periods and certain mixer settings (=selecting an input source
for capturing). Alas, this was with alsa 1.0.14 (or something). I'm
currently unable to run jackd with a newer version of alsa.

I'm not bothered by that though, it works well enough for youtube. I have a
real sound interface for serious work. I have done interesting measurements
with the card though. Like getting more noise on the inputs with mixer
levels at 0 than with raising the mixer levels just a bit above it. That and
the AD unit totally misbehaving when running in 192kHz.

 Sampo