[LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Wed May 28 10:56:43 EDT 2008

Loki Davison wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Al Thompson <biggles58 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-DC_converter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

How do you think a bus powered USB device does it? USB bus power is 5V.

>>> usb = crap. Oh, just in case you missed it. I think usb is a bad choice.
>> What's your dislike of USB?  You can do 2x2 even over USB 1.1.  Until the
>> latest version of the Firewire standard, it couldn't hold a candle to USB.

my firewire alarm triggered here...

What latest version are you talking about? The 1995 version (400Mbit/s)
can handle >200 channels at 48k, providing both phase and rate accuracy
for all channels throughout the system. There is not a doubt about the
fact that FireWire is technically superior to USB in general, and
definitely regarding audio.

A more recent version (1394b-2002) has commercially available products
at 800Mbit/s (400 channels), and specified up to 3.2Gbit/s.

Let me give you some arguments pro firewire:
* globally available clock (relative AND absolute timing)
* guaranteed bandwidth
* (1394b) support for redundant connections
* (1394b) optical fibre support

I could go on for a while, but it's not really worth it. The only
'superiority' of USB is in the cost department.

Greets,

Pieter