[LAU] OT: linux phone?

cdr _ at whats-your.name
Wed May 28 16:42:10 EDT 2008

On Wed May 28, 2008 at 04:57:07PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 08:10:38PM -0300, robert lazarski wrote:
> > On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> > > I may need to buy a cellphone soon.
> > >
> > <snip>
> > > Alas, OpenMoko looks the most promising, but they're out of stock, and, AFAICT the "phones" still can't make or receive calls yet. Oh well.
> > >

> > The new version - Freerunner -  has begun mass production and should
> > be released sometime in June or so. Here's a developer preview write
> > up about it:
> >
> > http://monochromementality.com/index.php/blog/show/Day-One-Openmoko-Freerunner.html
> >
> > Hardware specs here:
> >
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GTA02_Hardware
> >

> Wow! That's it; I'm getting one!

im not - very thick, and its FIC's first entry into a crowded field. i'll wait for the meizu m8, and various HTC stuff, and see which stuff works with qtopia or the openmoko stack

Android is google's JVM on top of linux, so chances are you can run qtopia/gtk stuff trivially on an Android phone, unless its locked down by a carrier.. which im sure google doesnt want