[LAU] Took the leap and ordered an Intel Mini-ITX

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed May 28 21:51:06 EDT 2008

On May 28, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Ken Restivo wrote:

> After following the thread here about laptop survival rates live,
> I've decided to roll my own ruggedized embedded softsynth box:
>
> http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/a-more-portable-setup
>
> I'd appreciate any advice anyone here might have to share regarding
> this adventure.
>
> I'm particularly curious about storage options. I'd rather not put
> in a spinning hard drive, and go with some kind of flash drive with
> an ATA or SATA interface, if such things exist.

There are the Emphase FDM4000X units.  This plug into the
motherboards IDE header.  They support both PIO and DMA (the previous
model only supported DMA).  2g is 66 USD from Logicsupply.com.   They
make sizes up to 8 gigs.

I got one of the previous model at work, but it had to be RMA'd.
They are replacing it with the current model, and I'll mention it
when I get to try the new one.

Currently I use Kingston CF cards (the brand wasn't my choice and
they aren't very nice to work with as a boot drive) and I really hope
the FDMs are a lot better.  I heard that the SanDisk CF units are
also good.