[LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu May 29 03:45:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 08:06:10AM +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:

> > A mic input ? I'd be surprised. Mic inputs are supposed
> > to be between around 2k.
>
> I'm assuming that the typical designer of a PC mic preamp neither
> knows nor cares and sees a mic input as a line input with gain. I
> hope I'm wrong.

PC mic inputs are usually designed to work with cheap electrets
and may even have DC on them to power the FET in those mics.
They don't generally work well with dynamic mics.
'Real' sound card mic inputs should be better.

> > Whatever difference it makes can be achieved as well with
> > some EQ.
>
> But then you have to know what curve to apply.

Well, either your ears will tell you what to do, and if
they don't there's no point in changing the sound...

Ciao,

--
FA

Parma, Italia