[LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

schoappied schoappied at gmail.com
Thu May 29 13:44:57 EDT 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 06:57:38PM +0200, schoappied wrote:
>

>> I'm thinking to buy a art tube project series
>> http://www.thomann.de/nl/art_tube_mp_project_series.htm with a m-audio
>> audiophile 24/96 ...
>>

> That sounds like a good plan.
>

>> Would be great if there's something like this which makes it possible to
>> record guitar and voice together... I know there's a art tube dual usb,
>> but I don't want a usb connection...
>>

> Well, with that sound card, all you need are two ART Type MPs and two mics.
>

>> Is it possible to use a mixer with this art tube? Then I could buy one
>> if I decide I need a mixer and have money..
>>

> Sure, but that setup should look like this:
>
>   Mic1->ArtTubeMP1---
>                      \
>                       \
>                        >-->mixer-->2496
>                       /
>                      /
>   Mic2->ArtTubeMP2---
>
> But, you could also do this:
>
>    Mic1->ArtTubeMP---
>                      \
>                       \
>                        >-->mixer-->2496
>                       /
>                      /
>               Mic2---
>
> since virtually every little mixer that have been mentioned has its own
> mic preamps.
>
> You could technically do this:
>   Mic1----
>           \
>            \
>             >-->mixer-->ArtTubeMP-->2496
>            /
>           /
>    Mic2---
>
> But that seem like a rather strange and pointless thing to do as mixer
> would have it's own preamps and the whole point of using an Art Tube MP
> is that it is probably a lot better than the mixers preamps.
>

> Personally, I don't have any mics of my own yet.  Sometime after I get
> some, I do plan to buy a ART Tube MP to try out comparing with my
> Lexicon's preamps and the yamaha preamps to see if I can actually tell
> the difference.

thanks, I like your drawing skills ;)

I've a little amp for my guitar, also with a phone input option... can I
use the art tube mp also for that one, guitar (input) and phone? The
preamp will make the sound maybe better, or doesn't make that sense?

And my guitar amp has not an master channel... can I use the art tube
mp, to use for example rakkarack with my amp?

Regards,

Dirk