[LAU] Took the leap and ordered an Intel Mini-ITX

Karl Hammar karl at aspodata.se
Thu May 29 19:04:20 EDT 2008

Josh:
> I'm just curious - would there be any performance issues with the VIA
> processors?  I'm not knowledgeable on the differences between
> different processors...is it x86 compatible?  are there any other
> differences?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VIA_microprocessors

There have been some problems with vias re. cmov, e.g.:
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/02/msg00005.html

You can check by doing

  $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
  processor       : 0
  vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
  cpu family      : 6
  model           : 8
  model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
  stepping        : 0
  cpu MHz         : 1792.552
  cache size      : 256 KB
  fdiv_bug        : no
  hlt_bug         : no
  f00f_bug        : no
  coma_bug        : no
  fpu             : yes
  fpu_exception   : yes
  cpuid level     : 1
  wp              : yes
  flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts
  bogomips        : 3586.65
  clflush size    : 32

and check the flags line.

About cmov:
 http://www.x86.org/secrets/opcodes/cmov.htm
 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/720064

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl at aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 2340                                                Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting