[LAU] OT: linux phone?

cdr _ at whats-your.name
Fri May 30 03:09:39 EDT 2008

On Fri May 30, 2008 at 02:57:28AM -0300, robert lazarski wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looking at it, reading the docs, I can honestly - and humbly - say that this
> > is NOT ready. If you'd like to develop, then it's for you. If you'd like a
> > phone to use as a phone, then it's not. An iPhone is of more worth, iirc you
> > can load up some custom Linux distro on it too like on an iPod. I don't see
> > any benefit for the end-user aside from the "open" hardware. We don't get a
> > refund if we open and destroy it along the way, unlike software where code
> > can be rolled back.
> >

> You can use the sold out GTA01 as phone, what makes you think you
> can't use a newer revision as a phone?

Ray obviously didnt read this:

http://zecke.blogspot.com/

youve got 3 options. the GTK/openmoko stack (what Ray was likely talking about), Android and Qtopia

and thats not including Asterisk/Ekiga/etc over Wifi

if you want to make cals right now, qtopia is praobly your best bet, in the 3 month to 1 year time frame, Android probably is. after that, maybe something completely nonproprietary will pop up (Eg the GTK stuff will be finished)