[LAU] Preamp for mic/ guitar (was: hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar)

yawfle yawfle at nospammail.net
Fri May 30 15:56:26 EDT 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:17:58 +0200, "schoappied" <schoappied at gmail.com>
said:
> I think the m-audio dmp3 will serve my wants best, as far as I can judge
> it. I think the studio projects is great too but I doubt if it's also
> good for my electr. guitar. It's good for voice, I don't doubt about
> that, but the dmp is better to serve both aims, mic and guitar...

One cool thing about the DMP3 is that it offers the full (66 db, I
believe) gain on the high impedance inputs, which was the main reason I
bought one. I'm a mad scientist at heart, and plug all kinds of
low-output stuff (piezo ribbons, tape heads, whatever transducers I can
find to play with) into those things, and none of the other preamps I
was looking at had this feature. The thing turned out to be pretty
decent all around, though, even does a good job on the output of a cheap
ribbon microphone. The lo-cut filters sound weird to me (like some kind
of phase thing going on) but other than that, it's great.

(Oh, and if, like me, you don't like the glaringly bright UV meter
illumination, a 100-ohm resistor between the bulb and power lead will
reduce it to a nice warm glow, if you're into voiding warranties  ;)