[LAU] [OT] first computer ?

Andre Majorel aym-psd at teaser.fr
Sat Nov 1 13:42:31 EDT 2008

On 2008-10-31 16:23 +0100, Crypto wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2008 10:47, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
> > What was your first computer ?
>
> I used to have a Commodore CBM720 but that was not really useful
> for making music, though I did some POKE SI+... on it.
>
> My first computer truely useful for making music was an ATARI
> 520 STFM w/ 512kB RAM.

Oric-1. 1-MHz 6502, 64 kB RAM.

> > What was the first music/sound software you used that really
> > hooked you into this making-music-with-computers fad ?

Don't know if that "hooked me" into anything but the first
serious music software I used was a software drum machine I
wrote on the Oric.

Sound generation method was one channel of square wave
oscillator and one channel of noise from the built-in AY-8912.
A sound consisted of an array of (square freq, square vol, noise
freq, noise vol) tuples. Every 10 ms, the next tuple was poked
into the 8912's registers.

The Oric also had a relay to switch the cassette recorder in and
out of pause mode. The program could open and close the relay at
specified times, which I used to trigger an MS-20.

> BTW: Does anyone remember the famous SPEAKTEX.TOS program used
> in so many music productions? Would love to have something like
> it running on linux...

Sure do. Didn't realise others used it. It was lots of fun. Has
anyone reimplemented it ?

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Do not use this account for regular correspondence.