[LAU] Recording Equipment

Sean Darby sean at seandarby.com
Sun Nov 2 22:31:53 EST 2008

Hi LAU!

I'm new to the group, heard about it from some random forums.

I'm looking into getting pretty much a "starter kit" for recording.

I'm considering getting:
2 AT2020 mics
2 XLR cables
2 generic mic boom stands
M-Audio Delta 1010LT (PCI sound card)

I'm temporarily holding off on studio monitors and using some Sennheiser
headphones for the time being.

I was considering the Yamaha MG166CX mixer, though changed that to just
the Yamaha MG166C (I don't think I need the fx). Though, I don't know if
I even need a mixer at all. It seems like people are just using the ones
in the programs (like in Ardour).

I have gobs of questions to boot... :)

Would benefits would there be in using an actual analog mixer with a
DAW?

I'll be using apps like Ardour, do I need a mixer?

Should I get an A/D D/A converter (like the Behringer ADA8000)?

If I get a mixer with the "Delta 1010LT", will I need the ADA8000?

Does the 1010LT already serve as an A/D D/A converter?

What would anybody recommend?

I have immediate access to 2 electric guitars, 1 electric bass, 2
acoustic guitars, 1 electronic drumset, and 1 (old) MIDI keyboard.

I'm also looking for a MIDI keyboard, perhaps 88-keys but condensed such
that I can put it on the desk near the computer keyboard and LCD monitor
- intention on the MIDI keyboard is for composing and recording.

Thanks!

Sean