[LAU] Recording Equipment

garryo garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 11:03:14 EST 2008

Sean Darby wrote:
> Hi LAU!
>
> (snipped in places)

> I was considering the Yamaha MG166CX mixer, though changed that to just
> the Yamaha MG166C (I don't think I need the fx). Though, I don't know if
> I even need a mixer at all.

> Would benefits would there be in using an actual analog mixer with a
> DAW?.

I found with my Delta 44 card (which is great) that i couldn't quite get
high enough levels recording guitar without some kind of pre-amp.
mics definitely need pre-amping. Getting a mixer was my solution; its
got mic pre-amps built in and there's plenty of gain available.

>  It seems like people are just using the ones
> in the programs (like in Ardour).

I use the mixer in Ardour to mix the playback of recorded material.
I use my desk mixer to monitor the playback from Ardour and the sounds
as they are recorded. there is a latency advantage here, too.
You don't have to make  the software do _all_ the work!

I seriously thought about getting a MG166, looks like a good bit of kit
and i like Yam gear, but i just don't need all those channels! (ended up
with a rather cheaper Behringer, which is fine).

> If I get a mixer with the "Delta 1010LT", will I need the ADA8000?
>
> Does the 1010LT already serve as an A/D D/A converter?

As R.Wolff already pointed out, yes it does. Or rather, that's what it
is, mostly.
If you get one of these look for the "envy24control" soundcard software.
( its in the alsa-tools-gui package in debian).

hope this was some help. Best wishes, G.