[LAU] Level Matching

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:02:38 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 04:46:05PM +0000, Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:32:36 +0100
> "Emanuel Rumpf" <xbran at web.de> wrote:
>
> > 2008/11/4 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:
> > >
> > > So what the original poster wants is to add a compressor to the output
> > > path for amarok or whatever audio track player is being used...
> >
> > I don't thinks so.
>
> You are right. I don't want the dynamics of the tracks changed. I want
> the overall 'loudness' of each track to be similar so I don't have to
> keep twiddling the volume control.

If there is a big variation in the level that traks were recorded
at, I would have thought it would be possible to scan the next
track in the playlist to find the peak level, and the average
level, and then adjust the volume accordingly.

I think the trouble is more likely to be, as other posters have
pointed out, that some tracks are very compressed and so sound
"louder" than less compressed tracks, although the peak levels
are the same.

James