[LAU] Level Matching

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:45:17 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Martin Wohlleben
<martin.wohlleben at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mo, 2008-11-03 at 23:56 +0000, Folderol wrote:
>> I have quite a large collection of mp3s and ogg gleaned from all over
>> the Internet (all freely licensed) that I greatly enjoy. However, they
>> are all recorded at completely different levels which make playing a
>> program of them a bit problematical.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an automated way I can bring these all to a
>> similar listening level.
>>

> If you are using aqualung as audio player you can import your music
> library and let it analyze the files. Aqualung calculates the RVA
> (Relative Volume Adjustment) and stores the values in an xml-file
> representing your music library. It's my favorite audio player... very
> easy to use, jack aware and also supports high quality resampling. You
> should give it a try.
>
> More info about RVA at
> http://aqualung.factorial.hu/manual/aqualung-doc-part_5_3.html
>
> Best regards,
> Martin

RVA is nice at the album level as it adjusts the overall level from
album to album but keeps the relative volume of songs within the album
consistent with each other. This way quiet songs stay 'quieter' while
louder songs match those on other albums.

Important to those of us who listen to complete CDs as opposed to playlists.

Cheers,
Mark