[LAU] Recording Equipment

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Nov 4 23:07:04 EST 2008

Arnold Krille wrote:

>>> Let's see if I understand this right...
>>> 2 mics going into 2 XLR jacks that are part of the 1010LT, which then
>>> (PCI) goes into the rest of the computer where ALSA/OSS will recognize
>>> it and process it.
>>>
>> Yes and no. If you want to have good mic quality and control you should
>> go through a mixing desk first.
>>

> That _really_ depends on the mixer. Especially when you want to start rather
> cheap it is better to connect the mics directly to the 1010. Because probably
> all the mixers you have in mind to buy for little money have worse Pre-Amps
> then the 1010...
>
> And if you don't like the pre-amps of the 1010, spend the next money on a good
> pre-amp instead of a mixer with not-so-good pre-amps.

It's a good point. I haven't heard of anyone who connects a mic directly
to their sound card. Maybe someone else has experience with this method
and can offer advice?

>>> I plan on making my current music studio (where I teach music lessons)
>>> into a make-shift recording studio, though also plan on doing the
>>> producing aspects after recording (going in and working with the
>>> recordings via the computer).
>>>
>> You should get a mixer. As you are intending to work with mics and
>> instruments then it will make your life a lot easier. Also aim for a
>> higher quality brand as it really makes a difference. Even a second hand
>> Mackie will be better than a new Behringer in most cases so ebay is your
>> friend. Personally I would get a Midas if I could afford one.
>>

> Why should he buy a mixer?
> Because he wants flexible audio-routing? That is what jack is for.
> Because he wants monitoring via headphone for the musicians? That is why they
> produce headphone-amps that you can connect to the 3+4,5+6,...-outputs of
> these modern soundcards.
>
> The only reason I see here why a mixer might be needed is when several
> musicians are to record at the same time. But even then he (the OP) would be
> better of with a soundcard with 8 or more analog inputs to use directly.

That is true.

It may be more fun to get hold of a midi controller unit that can be
plugged into ardour and used to tweak the levels. My main reasons for
suggesting a desk is that is frees you from the mouse for doing every
single tweak and is generally more robust than a soundcard which most
people want to keep safe and secure away from the main action.  But you
could also get/build a seperate connector board for that which let's you
hammer it without the risk of damaging the connectors on the card.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.