[LAU] Slaving jack to MMC/MTC

Alex Montgomery apmontgomery at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 04:44:53 EST 2008

Hello,
I have a Boss Digital recorder (BR 900CD) that is capable of mastering other
devices via MMC/MTC but not slaving. Ideally, I'd like to have Jack slave to
my device (connected via midi cable to my sound card) and then have Jack
master my linux apps (Hydrogen/Rosegarden/Ardour). So basically, the BR
controls Jack, Jack controls apps. Is this possible? I found a tiny app
called jackctlmmc that supposedly adds MMC support to Jack, but the only way
to configure it (e.g. picking midi ports) seems to be by modifying the code.

Does anyone have any experience with MMC/MTC on Linux? I know that
Rosegarden and Ardour are supposed to be able to slave to MMC, but the
"Sound Engineers Guide to Jack) ( http://orford.org/assets/jack.php ) says
that they can't control other things while they are slaving (i.e. Jack
transport).

If anyone can suggest a way that I can drive Jack transport with my external
MMC/MTC device, I'd very much appreciate it :)

Thanks,
-- Alex