[LAU] Recording Equipment

Sean Darby sean at seandarby.com
Thu Nov 6 18:09:45 EST 2008

> That _really_ depends on the mixer. Especially when you want to start rather
> cheap it is better to connect the mics directly to the 1010. Because probably
> all the mixers you have in mind to buy for little money have worse Pre-Amps
> then the 1010...

I was under the impression that the pre, gain, phantom, etc. from the
mixer would be better than from the 1010lt. I'm currently looking at
that Yamaha MG166C, though I don't know yet if it's the right one for my
purposes (nor do I know if it offers enough pre/etc.).

> Why should he buy a mixer?
> Because he wants flexible audio-routing? That is what jack is for.

JACK will be a life-saver. I look forward to using it. I'll need the
hardware element that offers 8 simultaneous XLRs + simultaneous 1 or 2
MIDI instruments.

> Because he wants monitoring via headphone for the musicians? That is why they
> produce headphone-amps that you can connect to the 3+4,5+6,...-outputs of
> these modern soundcards.

Modern soundcards with 3+4 and 5+6 outputs? I'm not sure I understand
what you mean.

> The only reason I see here why a mixer might be needed is when several
> musicians are to record at the same time. But even then he (the OP) would be
> better of with a soundcard with 8 or more analog inputs to use directly.

Yep. I'd like to record multiple at same time.

I'm leaning toward the mixer right now. I'm guessing I'd have to send
the 8 XLRs from the mixer into 8 XLRs on a PCI card?

Is there a fairly low-priced PCI card with 8 XLR inputs?

Thanks!

Sean