[LAU] Recording Equipment

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Nov 7 05:23:15 EST 2008

Am Freitag, 7. November 2008 schrieb Sean Darby:
> > That _really_ depends on the mixer. Especially when you want to start
> > rather cheap it is better to connect the mics directly to the 1010.
> > Because probably all the mixers you have in mind to buy for little money
> > have worse Pre-Amps then the 1010...
> I was under the impression that the pre, gain, phantom, etc. from the
> mixer would be better than from the 1010lt. I'm currently looking at
> that Yamaha MG166C, though I don't know yet if it's the right one for my
> purposes (nor do I know if it offers enough pre/etc.).

I don't know the quality of the 1010 preamps. I know the quality of my
Presonus preamps and can compare them (from experience) to Mackie, Behringer,
Yamaha, Soundcraft and Midas. And unless you have a mixer of the last two
companies, you should really ditch the mixer and record directly to the
Presonus...
It really depends on the mixer (and the soundcard you are buying). I think the
best bet would be to try soundcard-only first and if that doesn't fill your
needs get a mixer.

> > Because he wants monitoring via headphone for the musicians? That is why
> > they produce headphone-amps that you can connect to the
> > 3+4,5+6,...-outputs of these modern soundcards.
> Modern soundcards with 3+4 and 5+6 outputs? I'm not sure I understand
> what you mean.

The "modern" was a bit ironic after realizing how many people in this list are
older then me (thanks to dave for this thread!), in practice even the simple
and cheap hda has at least 6 output channels. Though you can't always use
them because of missing hardware and strange mixer-settings. And you
shouldn't really use the hda for quality reasons.
The 3+4 is not the number of outputs but the channels to use for headphones:
1+2 main-mix to the studio-speakers, 3+4 first musicians headphone, 5+6
second headphone,...

> I'm leaning toward the mixer right now. I'm guessing I'd have to send
> the 8 XLRs from the mixer into 8 XLRs on a PCI card?

You can also go via line-connections from the mixer to the soundcard. Some
soundcards do have symmetric line-inputs which is generally better than the
normal asymmetric line input.

Have fun,

Arnold
--