[LAU] Qtractor vs Rosegarden

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Wed Nov 12 03:53:54 EST 2008

Quoth James Cameron at 2008-11-12 18:58...
> Ugh.  I'd use a prebuilt, rather than waste three months.
That wasn't three solid months of trying, that's just how long I've been
on the project.  Gentoo ebuilds - especially for x86_64 systems - don't
always have the quality of binary builds on binary distributions.  Hence
my problems.

> I'm an occasional user of Rosegarden.  I've just tried Qtractor because
> you mentioned it.  I'm impressed.  It starts far faster and feels more
> responsive, but that's subjective, I didn't do a precise timing.  It is
> certainly cleaner and simpler.
Which suits me fine.  I just want to play/record, not fumble around with
software.

> Quick summary of the difference ... Rosegarden has notation editing,
> score production, a matrix editor, a percussion matrix editor, a MIDI
> event editor, segments that can be triggered by others.  Qtractor lacks
> these, or I could not find them.  Do you need them?  It depends on how
> important they are to your workflow.
None of these are really too important, although the matrix editing
would be handy.  But I can overcome that by using Hydrogen - I have no
issues with using more than one bit of software at a time.  After all, I
used to do this with LOTS of hardware.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/