[LAU] Qtractor vs Rosegarden

Stephen Doonan stephen.doonan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 08:55:55 EST 2008

James Cameron wrote:
> I'm an occasional user of Rosegarden.  I've just tried Qtractor because
> you mentioned it.
> Quick summary of the difference ... Rosegarden has notation editing,
> score production, a matrix editor, a percussion matrix editor...

What is a "matrix editor"? Qtractor has a very nice standard
"piano-roll" editor, as Rui mentioned.

My own subjective impressions of Rosegarden and Qtractor--

Both are great programs. Rosegarden has been around longer and has
therefore been more developed. Qtractor is newer, but has been rapidly
developed to a very usable state.

Rosegarden has a music score editor, but I have personally felt that
other dedicated music score programs might be better for this complex
task both in terms of the tools provided to produce a score, the
flexibility to accommodate unusual notation, and the quality of the
final output. I think that it is a wise decision on Rui's part to _not_
include a music score editor within Qtractor.

Qtractor's design is conceptually different than Rosegarden. I like
Rosegarden a lot, but I really admire Rui's approach to a MIDI and
digital-audio recorder, the design of the graphical interface and
elements, and the way the program and its functions work.

Both Rosegarden and Qtractor are nice programs for anyone who wishes to
use a MIDI recorder/editor and audio recorder/importer.

Steve