[LAU] Qtractor vs Rosegarden

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 17:10:45 EST 2008

There are high and low horses, some people seem to ride on very high ones.

I once saw a program on one of my (then) favorite composes, Elvis Costello, he was working at the time with the Brodsky Quartet and had to finalise some parts. Costello basically sat at the piano and composed a whole album in an afternoon. The Brodsky Bunch bragged about how they were able to score his compositions as fast as he could play them, he in turn amazed by their notational skills.

Decide for yourselves who was the most capable. Stories have been around for a lot longer than books, the ability to tell them has never been limited by pencil, paper, nor the knowledge of how to use either - the first 'authors' just wrote other peoples books for themanyway . If music is not in your body then it is definitely not going to suddently appear out of your biro and rest itself on a scoresheet. I mean we can all write or otherwise we would not be on this list but how many of us have a decent novel inside of us?

If you can use your ear, man, use it. Let some other mother put it down on paper.

Nick.