[LAU] frustration - connecting applications

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 14 00:22:16 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Start jack, start a2jmidid, start non-sequencer, start whysynth,
> connect and record, disconnect, start another synth, connect,
> etc...Throw Hydrogen into the mix, and now I have to set bpm for all
> applications.  If I don't use Hydrogen, then I need to start
> jack_metro and connect it to jack.
>
> Yikes!

Yeah, I feel your pain.  I was actually thinking of this recently.
When I started studying electroacoustic music I was lucky enough to do
it on analog gear.  Now, picture this:  you walk into the studio,
there are 2 reel-to-reel tape machines (Ampex! exactly this one:
http://www6.ufrgs.br/musicaeletronica/richter/original/Grvador-Ampex.jpgk)
and pretty much all the gear you can see behind this gentleman (in
fact, I studied in the same studio, except some 20 years after that
photo!)
http://www6.ufrgs.br/musicaeletronica/richter/original/Moog-a-cores.jpg

So, you're there, with all this gear and a handful of patchchords.
Scripting is out of the question.  You patch stuff and work your head
off, record everything because when you leave you have to unplug
everything as a courtesy for another student.  You take notes like
crazy so that when you come back for the next working session you can
repatch everything the way you had it for the same kinds of sounds.
Except that analog oscilators are capricious little beasts and they
don't sound exactly the same on two different days...  however,
somehow, nobody felt frustration ;)

Not much of it changed (speaking from a point of view of someone who
does not necessarily like canned music made with canned
software/gear)...  You still have to patch stuff around (except that
now you can use bash-fu to help you save time).

(Thanks to Frederico Richter for the photos, those were the only ones
that my google-fu allowed me to find without taking the whole night)

Cheers and happy patching :)

./MiS