[LAU] Single Play MP3 player

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Nov 14 11:55:23 EST 2008

Arnold Krille wrote:

> Note that the quality concerns of mp3 and laptop soundcards apply even more to
> small and cheap mp3-players. They might be good for playing one short snippet
> during a theater play or for the background music before the concert. But for
> real music during the real show do yourself and your listeners a favor and
> drop that idea.
> If you really want to play from a small mobile device, try to get hold of a
> minidisc player. At least they can work without compression.

Well, last night I did some tests and played timidity created
backgrounds though the PA using my laptop's internal card and on a
IRiver H120 player.

Both sounded "muddy" compared to the same track playing on my desktop.
Soundcards do make a difference.

I think the Iriver actually sounded better than the laptop.

I tested with both mp3 and wav and really couldn't tell the difference.
But, the diffs might be getting swallowed by the sound card, etc.

So, I'm going to put the tracks on the iriver and take them for "just in
case"; but I'll be using the real hardware. What the heck, I've got a
shitload of stuff to haul no matter what I do.

As to the beer and theft ... being a saxophone player I like to think I
have a better audience than that :) Maybe champagne? :)

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca