[LAU] Introduction

Brentt brenttnewman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:20:07 EST 2008

Hello, I'm brand new to the list.

About me:
I'm trying out Linux audio because all the marketing in the mainstream
pro-audio market makes me queasy. Also I'm interested in getting into
development (when my coding gets up to par--long way to go, and then
knowledge of DSP--fortunately I have a natural interest in mathematics
as well as music) and getting familiar with open-source programs seems
a good route.

But more than anything I love making recording music (electronic and
acoustic)and have been doing it off and on for well over a decade. I
started out recording with 2 tape recorders, bouncing back and
forth...then bought a four-track, a year later I discovered that
editing with Cool Edit Pro was much easier than a 4 track, even though
Cool Edit didn't actually have tracker...even mix pasting wavs is
easier to do than using a fourtrack. Eventually I moved on to Cubase,
Reaktor, and other VSTs (I also used Reason for a while, but
eventually came to disdain it).

I'm hoping Linux will workout, and that it can eventually come to be a
good platform for audio if its not already (I dont know, because I'm
just starting out). So I guess I'm going to start with
Rosegarden...that seems to be where to start right? I've also

I'm a novice at Linux (used to prefer to do my school C++ programmig
assignments using emacs and GCC, so I had a machine for that). But
never used it for audio. I'm working on a machine with the Debian
Studio 64 setup (is this a good place to start?).

But I havn't got an audio-card yet (I was using a M-Audio Delta 1212
on my win machine but it broke so I'm in the market for a new card).
I've been trying to find out which mid-range pro-audio cards are
stable in Linux (as a coworker at an internship I had would call it: a
"pro-sumer" audio card). I've done a couple searches of the archives,
and no specifics came up. Just a post about there being support for
high end stuff, but no midrange stuff. Is this still true?

Did I miss any postes with up-to-date specific audio card
recommendations for a mid-range set up (seems like it might be a
question that might be asked often enough). Something under $200
preferably. Is this doable?

Looking forward to engaging the list, and constructively contributing
when I get up to speed. I would rally like to see Linux Audio
platforms take-off.