[LAU] random system lockups, memtest clean, no idea... Magic sysrq?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Nov 19 21:10:10 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>> Lockups under Windows are not normal, at least since Win2K.
>>
>> Try resetting BIOS to defaults, and if that does not help, fiddle with
>> the BIOS memory settings.
>>
>> I had a similar problem with an Athlon XP system that I eventually
>> worked around by changing some obscure RAM timing setting.
>>

> Thanks for the hint Lee, did the error that was fixed with ram timings
> for you come up in any mem tester? memtest86+? Should i just frob the
> knobs with regards to timings ? ;)

No, it did not.  I think it was triggered by my sound card (SBLive)
doing DMA, which would not show up on memtest.  There was a well known
problem with that card on certain VIA chipsets, but none of the
workarounds helped.

I would first reset the BIOS to defaults, then if the problem recurs,
change one thing at a time.

Are you using the latest BIOS?

Lee