[LAU] transform midi Control Change 7 into velocity events?

Philippe Hezaine philippe.hezaine at free.fr
Thu Nov 20 17:49:46 EST 2008

Dominic Sacré a écrit :
> On Thursday 20 November 2008 15:14:00 Philippe Hezaine wrote:
>> My problem is Lilypond creates for each dynamic event a midi CC7 event
>> instead of a velocity event.
>>
>> Is it possible to transform these CC into Velocity events?
>
> I suppose by "velocity events" you mean the velocity values of subsequent
> note-on events?

Yes. Sorry.

>> I thought about mididings. I'm able to run and appreciate it at home but
>> i'm not knowledgable in python if i want to write my own script and
>> redirect the new midi file.
>
> I'm not sure mididings is the right tool for the job. The Python code to
> transform the events would be quite simple, but mididings doesn't support
> reading/writing MIDI files (yet?). You could of course use a separate MIDI
> player/recorder, and route the events through mididings, but you'd lose all
> meta information (tempo, time signature, etc.) from the original file.

Yes. I was sucessfull to loop a midi file with Jack and Rosegarden. The
outputs was routed through mididings and went back to Rg for a new
record on a new track. But it was not for this purpose and i didn't look
for the meta information.
But for now, if i have a copy about these informations may be i can try
again this experience? It isn't a piece of music, only a succession of
drums patterns. I can organize them to avoid different time signature...

> Having said that, I don't really know a better solution.
> midish (http://caoua.org/midish/) can import/export MIDI files, but I'm not
> sure how/if it can do the transformation you want.

I haven't check out yet.

>> PS. I join an example with my post. If you open it in a sequencer and
>> look at the bassdrum you'll figure out what i say.
>
> As far as I can see, all tracks in your MIDI file are on the same channel,
> so CC #7 messages on one track will affect the other tracks as well. You
> should probably assign a different channel to each track.

No. Like i have said these are drums patterns written by Lilypond. After
the famous transformation i could join all the tracks in one if i want.

> Cheers,
>
> Dominic

Cheers,

--
   Phil.
Superbonus-Project (Site principal) <http://superbonus.project.free.fr>

Superbonus-Project (Plate-forme d'échange):
<http://philippe.hezaine.free.fr>