[LAU] cheap usb audio

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Thu Nov 20 18:21:12 EST 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:04:09 +1000
"Jesse Zola" <jesse.zola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:28 PM, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A quick Q. A friend is building up a little linux box for testing
> > apps. (He's putting his toe in the linux waters for the first time.)
> > He'd like to use a cheap usb audio unit for sound. Any
> > reccomendations, or experiences?
> >
> > He did mention he was looking at some sort of Behringer unit.
> >
> > I appreciate this is a vague Q, but he's looking for something
> > stable, rather than cutting edge.
> >
> > Any help or tips would be appreciated.
> >
> > Alex.
>
> Would it be this?
> http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/index.cfm?lang=ENG
>
> I tested it once and it worked with 64 Studio. Seems a bit limited but
> it is cheap.
>
> You didn't say what your friend wants to record. If he wants to use
> mics he'll need something with pre-amps built in or else a separate
> mixer or pre-amp unit. And for guitar either a DI box or something
> with "Hi-Z" input.
>
> I guess the next step up and a big jump in price would be something
> like an Edirol UA-25 or Presonus Firebox (firewire).

I own a UA-25 and it works rather well. The weaknesses so far: not
that much gain at the output. It's only powersource is USB, so this
might be a problem, depending on the machine's USB.
It's rather easy to drive the limiter too hard.
I haven't tested Phantom power or Digital i/o.

I think I read that the newer version (UA-25something) is not supported.

Best regards,
	Philipp