[LAU] new laptop redux

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Fri Nov 21 02:21:59 EST 2008

Quoting Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:

All I can say is that while 64-bit
> Linux works, and works well, there are a lot of real world limitations
> in terms of accessing media from the web. While no where near as bad
> as they used to be you will likely run into issues with Java and Flash
> under 64-bit, and the decoders for things like Windows media file
> types are almost always a bit more difficult than on our 32-bit
> machines

Adobe has just released a 64bit beta of flash 10 for linux:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

And with the latest releases of mplayer/ffmpeg it very rare to having
to resort to binary-only (32bit) codecs. The only times I've had to
use them were some realplayer10 file, and as for wmv the only
unplayable ones I've encountered are the DRM:ed ones and I don't think
they can be played in linux whatsoever.

- Peder (who speaks out of his ass since he doesn't even run 64bit)