[LAU] [FFADO-devel] [ANN] FFADO 2.0 Release Candidate 1 (1.999.40) available

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Nov 23 19:57:19 EST 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Pieter Palmers wrote:

> Rick Green wrote:
>> I just downloaded and compiled  the tarball using the scons method.  I had
>> to invoke sudo at the install step.
>
> First of all, thanks for testing FFADO.
>
> Did you read the README file in the tarball? It describes how to install
> ffado correctly.
   Yes, I used the 'scons ; scons install' method as described in the
README.  However, 'scons install' threw an error which led me to run 'sudo
scons install' which completed normally.

> Moreover it also explains how to generate the information we require to
> solve any problems.

   Yes, I read that part also.  And I had all of two minutes to attempt a
first launch before I had to leave the house.  When it failed, I just
quickly sent out this post, knowing I'd have to follow up later.

>> However. that's as far as I got.  When I hit 'start' in jackctl, I get the
>> following:
>>
>> jackd 0.113.0
>> firewire ERR: Error creating FFADO streaming device
>> cannot load driver module firewire
>>

> Apparently something went wrong somewhere.

Yes, now I'm home and I can look at it closer.  The 'something that went
wrong' turned out to be a failure on my part.  In my haste to run a quick
test, I did not fully seat the firewire cable in its socket.
   Once that simple oversight was corrected, ffado loaded, Ardour was able
to connect, and I was able to lay down four tracks for about twenty
minutes without a single xrun.  My first recording using the focusrite
saffire 26 and *only* linux-based tools!

   Now, I need to learn these new tools.  First question:  In the jackctl
setup panel, the 'word length' selector is greyed out and showing '16
bit'.  How can I enable 20- or 24-bit recording?

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin