[LAU] wine and sound

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Nov 24 07:04:48 EST 2008

rosea grammostola wrote:

> Is pulseaudio useful? or can I remove it?

I've only used Pulseaudio in the context of a review of media players
for Ubuntu 8.04. At that time and for that purpose it performed fine,
but I don't know how it interoperates with JACK or other servers. AFAIK
you can remove it, but you'll probably find that it's a dependency for
many other apps. Boo-hiss for that factor. :(

I'm learmning about Ubuntu 8.10 now as a matter of necessity. So far so
good, but I've yet to muck about with the Pulseaudio stuff. Nothing
against the software itself, but I don't need it, don't want it, and
would like to cleanly remove it.

Best,

dp