[LAU] wine and sound

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 07:46:20 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM, rosea grammostola <
rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com>wrote:
>
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>

>>> Is pulseaudio useful? or can I remove it?
>>>
>>>  I've only used Pulseaudio in the context of a review of media players
>> for Ubuntu 8.04. At that time and for that purpose it performed fine, but I
>> don't know how it interoperates with JACK or other servers. AFAIK you can
>> remove it, but you'll probably find that it's a dependency for many other
>> apps. Boo-hiss for that factor. :(
>>
>> I'm learmning about Ubuntu 8.10 now as a matter of necessity. So far so
>> good, but I've yet to muck about with the Pulseaudio stuff. Nothing against
>> the software itself, but I don't need it, don't want it, and would like to
>> cleanly remove it.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> dp
>>

> +1, I've the feeling that pulseaudio is making the management of sound on
> Ubuntu unnecessarily complex...
>
> But about the wine problem... I've also an onboard intel soundcard next to
> my maudio audiophile pci... Could that be the cause of the problem?

If I start mscore I got:

suspending pulseaudio

and then the system freezes....

 Problems with wine, mscore > crashing... VLC, audacious, amarok > no sound
and flashvideo's on the internet, no sound...

exaille, totem, rhythmbox > sound...

Ubuntu hardy.